Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Thanksgiving Pheasant

Popo and Momo Riggs
(Elmer and Alma)

When I think of Thanksgiving, somehow an image comes to mind of a little house at 1310 West Main Street in West Plains, Missouri. This was the only house that I remember my Momo and Popo Riggs ever living in. When I've had the chance to be inside that house recently, I am completely bewildered and think; "How did they fit the whole Riggs clan inside that house?!"


But they did... And I have the pictures to prove it!

Christmas or Thanksgiving 1967 at 1310 West Main. L-R around the table. Aunt Yvonne, Aunt Lorene, Uncle Bill, Uncle Ronnie, Popo, Momo, Dad and Mom
In the background - I think it is Rita

It seems that I recollect a Thanksgiving or two that the bird of choice for the meal was Pheasant. Instead of turkey, Momo cooked a pheasant. And just where did this bird of the ring-necked variety come from? Well, let's just see where this fine-feathered tale leads us.


Popo was a bird hunter. With his bird dog, Ole Bob, he took every opportunity to roam the fields hunting that elusive covey of quail. As a matter of fact, my Dad said that the first day of quail season was just like the first day of deer season is now; every quail hunter took the day off work and hunted!

Every few years or so though, Popo ranged further afield.

He would load up Bob, his shotgun and other hunting gear, and head out west to the pheasant fields. I remember him going to hunt with Howard Simmons, who had a farm in Red Cloud, Nebraska. And it seems that a time or two, he took the president of West Plains Bank, Dan Gohn, with him on these hunting forays.

Usually though, he would incorporate a visit to his sister's house, in with the hunting trip. And of course, Momo went along.

Uncle Guy and Aunt Ora (Riggs) Jones lived in western Kansas in the town of St. Francis. Their only child, Vaudie, had a farm with her husband, Ward Wiley, in eastern Colorado near the town of Idalia. Ward, Vaudie and their children, Patricia, and twins Sally and Susan; raised grain crops so it was a paradise for pheasants!

On one such trip, a funny thing happened that really sums up the personalities of my Popo and Momo Riggs.

I have said, from the perspective of fifty-plus years, "Popo was the most impulsive person, I have ever known." When Popo got excited about doing something, he got "tunnel-vision" and just did things without really thinking about the consequences. (If you need further evidence, read here

Momo, on the other hand, was always calm, cool and collected. Nothing seems to rattle her or shake her up. Now, this may have been a "learned" trait from living with Popo...!

As they were driving across the vast expanse of nothingness called Kansas, a stop had to be made for fuel and a bathroom break. Popo wheeled into the service station and while he was fueling up, Momo went to use the "facilities".

After he finished fueling up and paying the service station attendant, Popo jumped into the truck, started it up and roared off down the road to the west.

But Wait... Isn't there something missing here?...

Yep, you guessed it... Popo had driven off and left Momo in the ladies room!!!

When she came out of the restroom, there was neither hide nor hair of the truck, the dog or Popo to be found!

And Meanwhile... Popo was smoking the road west, talking to an empty passenger's seat. Yes, I really said that... He was so focused on getting to Colorado that he didn't even realize that Momo wasn't in the truck... Until he was a few miles down the road and he suddenly came to the realization that Momo wasn't answering!!!

I have heard Momo tell her part of the story many times. When she concluded that she had been abandoned, she just found a comfortable place to sit, and waited... calmly... Until Popo came high-tailing it back to get her!

Her words to Popo after he had attempted an apology... "Awww Pa, I wasn't worried. I knew you'd be back to get me. I just found me a place to sit and rest until you did."

And so, the Thanksgiving Pheasant didn't wind up in the roaster pan, surrounded by dressing, without a few laughs to help him along in his journey!


Momo's Dressing Recipe

Popo with Ward Wiley and a couple of pheasants



I noticed that the name on the side of the truck is "W.T. Barton - Alton, MO" so I guess Popo had borrowed a truck or Mr. Barton was his hunting partner. (Feel free to give more info on this in the comments)


2 comments:

You Comment - I Moderate