Saturday, January 24, 2015

My Ornery Wife

A post on Facebook reminded Tami of an funny incident that happened years ago.  I will relate it here on my blog so every one can have a good chuckle...at my expense...

Mom wanted her new outside thermometer put on an old bird-house post in her back yard...so...on a hot dry, summer day, I commenced with the project.  First of all, this was no ordinary thermometer...it was the kind that the NASA astronauts can read from the Space Station.  And as such...it required more that just hand tools to mount it to the post.  There were no outside plugins so I plugged the extension cord in the house, ran it out the back door and across the yard to the post.  I got Mom's electric drill and the attachments I needed.  Mom was showing me how and where on the post she wanted the thermometer and I marked the spots for drilling.  When I started drilling the holes, the drill worked real good for about five seconds...and then it just quit.  I took it down, looked it over, shook it a little, squeezed the trigger and...it worked!  Back to drilling and a few seconds later, it quit again.  I took it down, Mom and I looked it over, I wiggled the cord, squeezed the trigger and wah-lah!...it worked!  Back to drilling...same thing...this time I checked the drill cord to see if it was connected good...and it was...I wiggled the cord some more, tapped the drill on the post (this usually helps) and after all this...it starts working.  Back to the drilling!   Wouldn't you know it?...after a few seconds, it quit again!  I was getting frustrated by this time because it was hot, I was sweating, this was supposed to be a ten-minute job and THE AGGERVATIN' DRILL WASN'T WORKING!!!

About this time, I just happened to glance back toward Mom's house...Did I mention that Tami was with me that day and... Mrs. "Don't Want To Get All Hot And Sweaty" stayed inside in the air conditioning?...where the extension cord was plugged in?......My glance back at the house revealed her at the kitchen window, laughing and giving me a "little kiddie" wave!  The reason the drill wouldn't work?...she was unplugging the cottonpickin' cord!!  OK...what could we do but laugh with her?!  If the roles were reversed, I would have done the same thing!!  Mom and I went inside, had a laugh with Tami...and a glass of iced tea...and went and put up the thermometer without any further "interruptions"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate