Monday, December 7, 2015

Hand-Me-Downs

Hand-Me-Downs... If there be some rich, elite, snooty, snobbish member of the aristocracy that reads my blog, let me explain.  When a piece of clothing no longer fits because it has been outgrown, it is given, passed down, handed down to a younger family member.  This can cause a lot of problems within the family unit.  My Uncle Elvin said when he was growing up, the only clothes he had were hand-me-downs.  He said "I had three older sisters and no brothers...Boy-O-Boy I Hated Wearing Them Dresses!!!"

Hand-Me-Downs are not always outgrown clothing.  Other things are outgrown also.  And handed down.

My brother, Ralph, was born in January of 1960.  Mom and Dad were living at the County Line, I'm guessing at the little house just east of James Bales store. Sometime in that year, they moved to the old house on the farm that Dad bought from Ruby Vonallmen.  Also during that year, they bought a high-chair. Now ...I can hear some blog reader saying "Well, Big Whoopedoo"! Just remember...I'm writing about hand-me-downs.

After Ralph out-grew the high-chair, it was put away until 1963 when I discovered America (actually it was probably 1964, since I was born in December.) When I was big enough to sit at the table, the little high-chair was put away. It was brought out on the rare occasions when we had some little shaver visit, but basically, it was not used.  We moved from the farm to the Conklin house at Junction Hill, then to the Farley house, then we moved into town to the house on the south side of Third Street.  In a couple of months, Dad bought the house across the street and we moved again! This was in 1976 and we stayed on Third Street until we built at the Homeplace in 1978.  After Dad passed away in 1985, Mom sold the Homeplace and moved to Sixth Street in 1986. During ALL of these moves, the little high-chair was packed up and carried along.

Then...In October of 1986, a red-headed little Riggs was born....Stephanie Mariah!  In a few months the old high-chair was brought out, dusted off and "handed-down" to the next generation. The chair was kept at Grandma Riggs' house, So, in 1987, Tabitha Raeanne Riggs took over the high-chair (again, it was probably 1988 since her birthday is in December!)  Ryan Levi Riggs followed his sister and cousin in April 1990 and then Regan Lewis Riggs in November 1994.  And then...the high-chair was mothballed again.

Mom passed away in August of 2006 and later that fall, we sold her house. Our families got together and divided up the keepsakes and then had a yard sale for all the things that were left.  Somehow, Tami and I wound up with the high-chair!

Little did we know that the old high-chair would soon be put into use again.  In June 2007, another Riggs generation was born when Stephanie had a bouncing baby girl, Clarie Marie!  When we had family get-togethers at our house she was queen for a day in the old high-chair! Then, in September 2013, Ryan and Shayla had another little Riggs, Isabella DeAnn!  Now, Bella was soon introduced to Texas so I'm not sure whether she ever got to use the old high-chair.

And finally...about a year ago, Tabitha and Anson promoted Tami and I to the elevated, noteworthy, and august position of "Mayme and Pawpaw"!  Right before Christmas last year, Lucas Rey Miller was introduced to the Ozark Hills! For several months, you didn't find him just laying around the Grand's house! He was held from the time he came in the house 'til I carried him to the car. But it was soon time to get out the old hand-me-down...the old yellow, metal high-chair! (which still has the chips on the tray where Ralph beat it with his spoon!!)
This is what was written on the bottom of the high-chair in Mom's handwriting...
And...I do have a few pictures of Lucas making use of the old high-chair...



My Dad always said "When you buy, buy the best quality you can afford."  I think this old "Hand-me-down" high-chair has passed the test...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate