Wednesday, April 20, 2016

When A Flag Bearer Faints...

Isaiah 10:18 ...and they shall be as when a standardbearer (flag bearer) fainteth.

I know I am taking this verse somewhat out of context, but a "Flag Bearer" has fallen. On Sunday morning, April 17, 2016, the Reverend Joey Hight, laid down the Ensign of the Independent Holiness Pentecostal Movement and stepped into the Eternal Eden.

Thanks to Bob Aborn for the use of this picture of Brother Joey Hight

I remember the first time I really "met" Brother Joey. He preached the May Fellowship Meeting at the Calvary Pentecostal Tabernacle in 1986. After the meeting closed, our pastor, Rev. Leon Farley asked him to come for a few nights of revival at the Junction Hill Pentecostal Church. It was in this revival that I had my first experience of "running the aisles" in church.

Now, if you've not been around old-time Pentecostal church services, I might need to explain. As Pentecostals, we believe and teach that the outpouring of the Holy Ghost was not restricted to the 120 believers in the upper room as recounted by Luke in Acts Chapter 2. I have seen and experienced many of the "acts" that occurred on the Day of Pentecost... from the speaking in other tongues to people acting like drunken men.

On this particular night, after Brother Joey had preached a message titled "All The Way To Bethcar", I felt moved on to take a lap around the aisles of our church. I did pretty well...until I came down the home stretch and tripped... and fell... and burned a hole in the knee of my dress slacks! I just got up and took another lap! Everyone else was having such a good time, I don't think anyone really noticed!

In April of 1991, Brother Joey and Sister Trish Hight came to pastor our neighboring church, the Calvary Pentecostal Tabernacle. I still didn't know Brother Joey very well but I must have impressed him to some small degree. In the fall of 1992, in a pastor's meeting, he nominated me (in absentia) to be the Youth Rally Leader for the Ozarks Holiness Fellowship. A couple of years later, he asked me to lead the youth services at the Annual May Fellowship Meeting. I have continued in these roles ever since, all because a great man took a chance on me.

I have racked my brain to think of any other minister that has had more influence on our Holiness movement than Brother Joey Hight. His unique style of preaching, using illustrations, has endeared him to thousands... with a few naysayers to keep him from getting the "big-head". Who can forget ringing the bells at the Bristow Campmeeting? His message titles?..."Land Birds and Branches With Berries On It". How about his "wild" neckties? All of these things were "Joey Hight". He didn't apologize or waver from his course, he just said to Sister Trish, "Honey, go start the truck!" He touched the young, the old, the simple, the smart... When you got "high and lifted up", he could bring you down... When you were "down" he knew the words to say to lift you up again. From coast to coast and border to border, among the Holiness people, the name of "Hight" was instantly recognizable and revered. He was "A Man Of The People".

Myself and Brother Lloyd Shuecraft standing on a pew, making Brother Joey feel short(er)!
Since I'm telling this from my perspective, I'll just say that most of my telephone conversations with him were short, to the point, and I always hung up laughing. This is an example of when he wanted me to preach for him on one of his regular church nights.

Me: Hello?
Joey: (in his gravelly, rough voice) My place...Sunday night.
Me: OK, I'll be there.
Joey: Don't bring Tami...she'll just kill the service.
Me: (laughing) OK
Joey: Her mother's bad enough...
Me: (still laughing) Sounds pretty rough!
Joey: See ya buddy!
Me: (Still laughing) See ya man!

These are some of my final thoughts about Brother Joey...

He was a man that forged his own place among the Holiness people. He has many imitators but no equals.

He was willing to risk his "reputational clout" and do something completely out of the norm just to reach another soul for Christ.

I have told my wife many times, "If I ever get into trouble, I want to have Joey in my corner."

He was one of two preachers that I (feel)felt comfortable calling by his first name, without the title "Brother" "Reverend" or "Pastor".

Finally...
My sympathy goes out first to Sister Trish. The days ahead will not be easy and I pray that Jesus will wrap His arms around her during this time and especially so, when of necessity, she has to walk alone.

Brother Joey's family, immediate and extended, and in-laws will also need God's grace in this grieving period.

The Calvary Pentecostal Tabernacle... These precious folks (including my in-laws) will need the comfort, wisdom, and guidance of the Holy Ghost in the days and weeks ahead.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! Absolutely loved reading this, touched my heart and made me smile. All truth here and like they say in the Army "Bring Your Own Character" this is something Bro. Hight has always done well. I'm going to miss him, my grandma keeps me updated on why going on even though I've been in Georgia for the last five years. Will certainly miss him and never forget the prank we pulled on him that one night at youth camp. Very good read Bro. Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Jesse! Brother Joey will certainly be missed. Love keeping up with your "growing" family on facebook!

      God Bless!
      ray

      Delete
  2. Toni and I were very privileged to have Joey Hight for our Pastor from the time we moved to West Plains in 2011 until he passed away to go to his heavenly reward. The last funeral service he preached was for my wife Toni on March 2, 2016. Although very sick he was determined to do her funeral and did a great job. Toni didn't have to do without her Pastor for very many days after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Brother Wayne. I'll be praying for you and the CPT.

      God Bless
      ray

      Delete
  3. Loved Bro. Joey and I have been recollecting memories, but also been realizing the need for young men, including myself who need to stand up when all our elders are dead and gone. Lord, help us to have a "Double-Portion" of his and their spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my little blog! My advice...(for what it's worth) Work in your local church and make yourself indispensable to the pastor. You may fly under man's radar...but not God's.

      God Bless!
      ray

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this Bro Ray. Laughed and cried many times with Him. Sat under several youth camps and revivals with titles like...you can't fill a full container, fresh oil and others. Lost 2 very influential men in my life with his and Bro Adams passing, but Heaven's sounding sweeter all the time. God bless you and Sis Tami you 2 have been there for me too and I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate all the fond memories people are sharing about Bro Joey. Oh what joy lies ahead for those who make it to Heaven. Won't it be wonderful there! I plan to make it , Daniel Friend

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate