Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Ghost Of Halloween Past

One morning a few years ago, just before Halloween, the front door of our office clanged open (we had a bell on the handle instead of the fancy electric thingamajiggy we have now.) There was a pause as we waited for footsteps to start down the steps to the reception area. Then... In a very scary voice, we heard "I... Am The Ghost... Of Halloween Past...." The door clanged open again and the "Ghost" was gone! Whoa!

We knew who the "Ghost" was and it still gives us all a chuckle at Riggs & Associates when we bring it up.

Heman Judd was playing "Ghost" that day!!!

Heman Judd was an eccentric older man, that lived in Crestwood Circle. He always wore a big cowboy hat and pulled a little red wagon around town. He attended our church at Junction Hill for many years and there are a couple of stories I could tell about his antics there! But all in good time...

Let me just say right here that I do not agree with the way most of the country celebrates Halloween. The Ghosts, Goblins, Witches, Warlocks,  Zombies, blood, guts, horrible scary masks are completely inappropriate, especially for children. I like to celebrate it as a fall festival, with the children dressed accordingly; as cowboys, princesses, policemen, firemen or some gentle, friendly Disney character.

However, arguments about whether to "Ween" or not to "Ween" are not the subject of this post.

My Grandma, Alma "Momo" Riggs, absolutely loved Halloween. Their house, at 1310 West Main Street, was the happening place on "Trick or Treat" night. I think it was because of her special treat which was Popcorn Balls.

A day or so before Halloween, she would make up the awfullest mess of popcorn balls that you ever did see!! Each one wrapped in plastic wrap with a generous amount of "Momo's Love" included. I would try to tell you about it but it would be best to hear it in her own words.

They are from a cookbook that she prepared for everyone in the family, and gave them out at our Christmas Eve get-together in 1982. Tami and I still use many of the recipes in this book.

Here's the recipe for popcorn balls and Momo's comments about them...
Popo and Momo Riggs (Elmer and Alma)

I hope there are some people reading this that remember Momo, and the kind, Godly, generous person that she was. If there are, why don't you just share it with me and all the readers of this blog in the comments! I would love it!

And as an added benefit, I have added a mystery photograph for your viewing pleasure. It shouldn't take you too long to figure out who the yahoo's are in the picture below!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your stories, and thankful you continue to blog. They are heart felt and bring back memories of my own loving family. You can really weave an interesting story! B.G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Brenda,

    Thank you for your kind comments!

    ray

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate