Saturday, June 18, 2011

Curious....

 I have found many survey markers in my twenty eight years of surveying and this is not the most unique one I've ever found.  However...I am reminded from time to time that whatever was at hand at the time was used by the old surveyors.  This appears to be a 1/4"-3/8" metal rod with a decorative top set in an embedded rockpile.  I had to pull it up a little to get a picture of it.  This is in Shannon County Missouri so if I was a betting man...which I am not...I would bet the farm that this was set by Vern Wilkins, Esq.!  (other reasons are; that the actual line is about 17' south of this marker and it is 1319' west of the marker at the E1/4 corner...)
Ah Ha!  I just looked closer at the picture below.  This is part of an old metal bedstead!  The kind with the decorative "lacework" of metal rods with decorative tops!  (See the picture from the web below)  They broke or cut off the "connecting rods" on each side of the head which you can see in my picture below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate