Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Dad


Missing my Dad today...

One of the best memories of my Dad is him sitting in his recliner with the radio in his lap (no television) listening to sports...spring, summer, late summer it was Cardinal Baseball.  Fall and winter...Mizzou Tigers (he didn't like NFL).  Winter and spring...basketball...which seemed to be his favorite.

He ran a used furniture store for a couple of years and an old man in the neighborhood started to stop by and visit.  Dad called him "Three Dollar Bill" because his name was Bill Hann and he was always trying to buy stuff with a "three dollar bill"!  He bought a heating stove off of Dad and agreed to pay it out so much per week.  He made one or two payments and then Dad noticed he didn't stop by anymore and there were no more payments.  Finally Dad stopped him on the street and asked why he hadn't been coming by.  Of course it was the money and Bill was ashamed to face Dad with his account in arrears.  Bill had a big turnip patch so Dad told him if he would bring him a sack of turnips every now and then, he could consider the debt paid.  Dad would rather take the loss than to lose the friendship.  That's the kind of man he was....

Leamon Riggs
1932-1985
Chet sings it like I feel it...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Makes me want to drive to Ohio the first chance I have to hug my Dad.
    God bless you, friend.

    Davy
    www.boggsblogs.com

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate