Saturday, July 23, 2011

Plymouth Rock

Nothing inspires me more to persevere in my Christian walk than to recount the story of the Pilgrims.  I realize there are those among us that want to clarify or "rewrite" history and say it had nothing to do with religious freedom, only greed and opportunism...but here are my thoughts:

I know the type of person I am and at my very best I still deal with fleshly desires, greed, ulterior motives and such like.  I don't have to let them dominate me or give in to them but through the grace of God I can resist them and have an overcoming Christian life...The Pilgrims were no different...they put there "breeches" on one leg at a time just like me!  They weren't perfect, they were just pursuing a dream of living a Christian life without interference from unyielding, domineering, suppressive religious rule.  They had their faults and sometimes acted in an un-Christian manner but as a whole were good, honest, forgiving, upright people (hmmmm...kinda sounds like my church)

When Tami and I arrived at Plymouth Rock (via the Mayflower Taxi Service) it kinda felt like we were on holy ground.  Just to stand there and feel the hope, the dread, the uncertainty, the resolve that the Pilgrims most certainly felt...was an awesome thing.


 Plymouth Rock with the tide in

 The view from the portico over the rock

The view from Cole's Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate