Saturday, September 24, 2011

BRRRRRR! Surveyors Rondezvous 2006


(I was looking at some old pictures on the "Ruble, Riggs & Shotts" http://www.rrspls.com website and thought I would try to post some pics from it)

Every year at the first of December, Ruble, Riggs & Shotts, LLC hosts the Surveyors Rendezvous.  Brave, hearty surveyors from the midwest meet and use field equipment like the original General Land Office (GLO) surveyors used (staff compass and Gunters chain), search for original GLO corner evidence and tell old "war stories" at night by the camp fire.  In 2006 it snowed, sleeted, rained and the temperature on Friday morning was 2°!  I always have a great time with my fellow surveyors and we will be braving the elements again this year at Ruble's place in Dent County on Fishwater Creek!  Ya'll Come!

Thursday evening with a skiff of snow on the ground.  I'm on the left in the cowboy hat.
Thursday night - It starts to sleet and snow!
Friday morning - clear and 2°
 
Found the rockpile at the corner - we fought over the shovel to keep warm - I won!

Ralph Kliethermes at the staff compass, I guess I'm pointing toward the witness tree position and Ryan Riggs is in the purple coat on the right

Mike Flowers, at this time the Missouri State Land Surveyor (since retired) at the aluminum monument we set to perpetuate the original GLO corner.
Friday evening - Mike Flowers and Dan Lashley (deceased) relaxing and waiting for the coffee to perk on our original 1840 propane cooker!  In my opinion, two of the best surveyors I know and have known.

2 comments:

  1. Kind of like Campmeeting for surveyors?

    Davy

    www.boggsblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now...That's a stretch!!! But they are a good group of guys and it is a good opportunity to be a witness.

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate