Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hoot Owls (and other noisy creatures)

I went out deer hunting this morning and my thermometer read 20° and the thermometer on my truck read 18° so if you average them...well....you can do the math.  I had coffee in my beat-up, 30 year-old Aladdin Thermos and after I had a cup the dregs froze in the bottom of the cup.  Wowzer!  Didn't see any deer but a flock of turkeys passed through behind my stand...and then there was the (stupid) squirrels...always the squirrels

I'm pretty sure I have held forth on this before but...whoever says that the forest is quiet and serene has never sat on a deer stand.  Just this morning I heard crows, blue jays, titmouses, nuthatches, woodpeckers, squirrels and sundry other varmints I couldn't identify!


It was before daylight when I got on my stand and an ole Screech Owl was a'going-ta-town!  They can make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and take notice!  After he (or she) got finished it was time for the Hoot Owls.  There was two of them calling to each other and finally they must have hooked up because they were both "hooting" from the same general direction.  I took a short video so I could get the sound but you may have to turn your speakers way up to hear.






No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate