Thursday, December 20, 2012

Speed King!

I know it is very hard to believe, but I have been driving since I was one year old.  The proof is in the picture...and we all know that pictures don't lie.

Yesterday was my birthday and I am hanging on to the 40's by a thread...364 days to be exact!  This picture was taken when I was one year old at the farmhouse at county line, which my Dad built in 1962 (or there-abouts).  We had hardwood floors and as you can see, Mom kept them waxed to a fare-thee-well! (And there is a good story about someone sliding on them too...)

Back to my driving...
I had lots of experience driving before my sixteenth birthday. (which is ANOTHER story all in it'self) On my sixteenth birthday I was going to take my driver's test at the Armory.  My birthday fell on a Wednesday which was very fortunate since they only gave the test on Wednesdays in West Plains.  Dad was going to take me into town, I'd take the test, hopefully pass, take me to the license office to get my license and be back by breakfast!  However...When I got ready to go Dad says to me "Ray, I can't take you in (I can't remember why) so you just take the car and drive on in to take your test"   Hmmmmm...now my Dad didn't brook no arguments but I think I did say "Do you really think I should since I don't have my license?"  His reply?  "You'll be OK, just drive careful and it'll be alright"  So...I drove myself (in our 72 Oldsmobile) to the Armory, passed the written and driving test and was fixin' to take off to the license office...When the State Trooper said to me "Son, you can't drive downtown, someone will have to drive you down there".  You gotta remember, the was BC era (Before Cellphones) and I had no way to call my Dad!  So I just waited around until he came to check on me, got my license, and drove home!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday kiddo! How did we ever make it without cell phones? I remember learning to drive by sitting on Popo's lap and "driving" all the way from town out 160 east to where they lived. As I drive along that road now and realize all the hills and curves, I can't believe we survived it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rhonda! Considering Popo's driving I'd say it was just as safe with you "driving"! As I recall, Popo drove and looked at all the scenery and Momo watched the road and kept him in it!! (Tami accuses me of being like Popo)

    Love ya Cousin and pray you and yours have a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ray

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate