Thursday, October 13, 2011

Monhegan Island - "The Wild Side"


More than half of Monhegan Island is designated as "Wildlands" which is basically wilderness and un-developed coastline.  I was able to spend most of one morning and a late evening exploring and it was a fantastic experience! I felt like Winslow Homer, Herman Melville and John Masefield all morphed into one...  Hope you enjoy the video and pictures...






Seagulls on the rock
The blue object in the foreground is trash, such as lobster traps and buoys
Wreck of the D.T. Sheridan.  Grounded on the rocks in a dense fog, November 5, 1948, while towing barges

Yours truly exploring the wreck

The trails were pretty rough



A boardwalk across a bog
South end of Monhegan
While I was standing at this spot I kept hearing a bell which I thought was perhaps on a ship but I finally figured out it was on a buoy out of sight in the fog (BTW...my camera has a time delay so I could take a self photo!)
The highlight of my island visit...getting to see some wild seals
I could hear these seals grunting and barking so I tried to get as close as I could.  They were really wild because when I tried to get closer they all slid off the rocks and disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate