Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Perils of Surveying

I have no pictures of this...mainly because it would be to graphic to put out on the www...and nobody was with me to record the debacle for posterity.

Yesterday while surveying in Shannon County on Rocky Creek, I was trying to cross said Rocky Creek on foot.  The place I chose to cross was relatively shallow but still over my hiking boot tops.  So...I carried a few big rocks and threw them in to make a "path" across.  I had the GPS receiver pole in one hand and my Gerber machete in the other and was using the pole to steady myself.  Well...said "self" tried to make the "Big Step" from one stone to another and...and...Yep...you guessed it...I FELL IN THE CREEK!!!   My whole right side was soaked, my gloves, my billfold....soaked...my phone got wet but I was able to keep it from getting ruined.  Part of the GPS pole was broken and the data collector was in the water (thankfully it is water resistant).  What a Mess!!  It didn't help that the high temperature yesterday was 37°!  I spent the rest of the day cold and wet and phoneless (drying out the phone in my truck).  However...I was able to finish my work and salvage the day... so..."All's Well That Ends Well!"

1 comment:

You Comment - I Moderate