Saturday, July 20, 2013

Postage Stamp Lawns

Now if you don't know what a "Postage Stamp Lawn" is, let me enlighten you.  It's a yard the size of a postage stamp...Some of the thousands of readers of my blog are saying right now, "What is a postage stamp?"  OK, OK, I'm blogging about a very very very teensy tiny yard.

I see the most amusing things when I am out and about.  There is a guy with a huge beer belly (amusing), half-dressed (NOT amusing), mowing the lawn/yard with a RIDING MOWER!!  He can't even turn the mower around without executing a seventeen point turn!  He is very near to defying one of the principles of Quantum Physics - the Pauli exclusion principle. (clueless? - read about it here)  The only way this could get worse is.... if it is the wife doing the mowing....and I won't even go there...

My yard is small.  Not postage stamp size but definitely monarch envelope size.  I do have a belly.  Not a beer belly but may be a root beer belly.  I do not have a riding lawn mower.  This is the reason.  It is commonly referred to as the "Yard Enlargement Rate Theorem" or YERT.  It states:  "The size of the yard is in direct proportion to the size of the equipment used to mow said yard"  Hence:
Tiny yard - push mower (no engine)
Small yard - push mower (with engine)
Medium yard - conventional style rider
Large yard - Zero Turn mower
Humungous yard only a deranged person would have - A Tow-Behind Golf Fairway Mower

So...in keeping with the YERT, I have purchased a new lawn mower.  The picture below will give you some idea of the size of my yard.


It is a Sears Craftsman with 190cc OHV self-priming engine.  It has a bagger and the little green thing on the deck is a hose hookup to wash the underside after mowing.  Purty neat!

Hope you have enjoyed my rant and happy mowing!!

5 comments:

  1. Lol! Great post Bro. Ray.

    The only house we ever owned was in Ohio. The front yard was so small that I could gas up my push mower, check the oil, mow it twice diagonally so the lines would look cool, clean the mower and drink a cold lemon aid, all in 15 minutes!

    That is my kind of yard!

    Davy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a Postage Stamp Yard Brother Davy! I really like mowing the yard...about as much as I like dogs/cats, hauling hay and roofing, if you get my drift. So my yard is just about the right size and if I can find someone to build me a deck...I will reduce the size even further.

      Thanks for the comments!
      ray

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Fabulous Idea! When we were in Phoenix years ago (when Dave and Anna pastored there) I saw yards that were asphalted and then painted green! Concrete would also do nicely. I can just hear some Dad saying "Junior, you get out there right now and hose off the lawn"!!!

      ray

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for this great post. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that
    too much oil lawn mower

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate