Saturday, October 19, 2013

Today In History...

Fifty-six years ago today, on October 19, 1957, Leamon Harold Riggs married Helen Marie Fox.  I, of course, do not remember this momentous event, but I do know a few of the details.  They were married at Victoria Mission Church at Countyline by Rev. Ray Ball and Rev. Jesse Earls.  Rev. Earls was Dad's Grandpa and was known to the family as "Poppa" and to the church community as Brother Jess(e) or Uncle Jess(e).  "Poppa" wasn't licensed to marry folks so Brother Ball tied the knot officially.  They spent their honeymoon in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas and returned to live in a little house just north of "Rountree Corner".

Ralph and I couldn't have had a better Mom and Dad.  Dad provided the means for Mom to keep us clothed and fed.  They brought us up to have good manners and to respect and honor when it is due.  They took us to church...Sunday Morning, Sunday Night, Wednesday Night, Revivals, Youth Rallys, Fellowship Meetings, Brush Arbor Meetings...and guess what?  I still love going to church!  It didn't turn me sour on church goin'!  I will not...I will not...I will not get on my soapbox.................whew!

I loved my Mom and Dad and am so thankful for their influence in my life.
Thanks to my cousin, Dennis Hendrix, I have a picture of Mom and Dad's wedding.  From left-right, Poppa, Uncle Bill Hendrix, Dad, Mom, Aunt Lorene Hendrix and Brother Ball.  This is in the old Victora Mission Church and not the present building.  Note the marriage licence in Brother Ball's hand.
This picture was taken at our Annual Sweetheart Banquet in February 1985 before Dad passed in December 1985.

4 comments:

  1. What a great tribute, Bro. Ray. Your posts about your Dad are some of my favorites.

    Davy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brother Davy. We're preparing for our 50th year celebration at JHPC and I've been going through some old pictures. So just stay tuned...more nostalgic posts on the way!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Post... Bro. Ray, as they say in the Ozarks..."You Come from Good Stock"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sister Brenda. I have my days of really missing Mom and Dad...and yesterday was one of them.

      Delete

You Comment - I Moderate