Sunday, October 20, 2013

Widder Lights

My Dad had peculiar names for some things.  Every now and then I will try to describe an object to someone and use one of his terms.  I can usually tell by the blank stare that they have no idea what I am talking about.  For example....

There are lights on poles that illuminate yards or barn lots.  Most folks call these "Mercury Vapor Lights", "Yard Lights" even "Pole Lights".  My Dad always referred to these as "Widder Lights".  Now he never just sat down and explained the reason for this but it is kinda self-explanatory.  A widow (widder) living all by herself out in the country, needed an outside light to feel more secure.  Hence the name, "Widder Lights".  I was a man-grown before I was enlightened that the proper name was a "Mercury Vapor Light".

I am a chronic reader and I have been(as the old saying goes) since "Heck was a pup".  When we lived in the Conklin house at Junction Hill, I would read in my room at night until Mom would make me turn the light out.  However, being the bright lad that I was, I kept a flashlight handy and continued to read with it under the covers.  That worked for awhile until Mom (being brighter and wiser than I) caught me reading....  On to plan C!  There just happened to be a widder light at the back of the house, right outside my bedroom window...so...all I had to do was open the window shade, get the book at the right angle to the light and read away!  Eventually, Mom and Dad caught me and put a stop to it but they never discouraged me from reading...they just encouraged me to sleep!  I usually have a couple of books going and have certain books that I read on a regular basis.  And, (I am very proud to say) I have passed my love of reading to my daughter Tabitha.



5 comments:

  1. Abraham Lincoln read by candle light. Just think how smart he would have been if his family would have had a Widder light!

    Davy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... if we we must confess...no book for me...an old black transistor radio with a black leather cover . Under the pillow listening to "Lights Out.....Everybody" After a few of those exciting episodes I needed a nightlight. To this day I love to listen to Old Time Radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sister Brenda, when I was in my early teen years, I went to sleep with my radio under my pillow also. It was tuned to 870AM WWL, New Orleans. At 11:00 it was... "Old friend, we'd sure be pleased to have you join us for Country Music, all night long on the...Charlie Douglas Road Gang!"...with host Dave Nemo. I wish I could get those songs out of my head now!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate