Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Geography Lesson - At 32,000 Feet

When I book flights, I really try to get a window seat for myself.  Tami is not really keen about looking out the window the entire trip so it is a win-win situation for us.  On our Delta flight to Sacramento, with my phone in "Airplane" mode, I was able to keep track of our progress cross country.  I don't know why, but the GPS signal worked from St. Louis to Minneapolis but somewhere going west over South Dakota, I lost it.

So...being the "old school surveyor" that I am, I started trying to match landmarks with the map on my phone.  All I could see on the Google Maps was major highways, rivers, lakes and national forests (all with no names).  The pilot would keep us up to date about every hour so I could check my accuracy.  I was purty proud of myself!  I only took two pictures because at least two of the sites the pilot pointed out were on the south (left) side of the plane (thankfully I was on the right side).  These two sites on the south side were Mount Rushmore and Lake Tahoe.  Below are the two pictures that I did get.

Looking north toward the Little Bighorn Mountains in north central Wyoming.  The Little Bighorn Battlefield is just north of this range in Montana.
Looking north toward the Grand Teton Range.  On the horizon, partially blocked by the wing, is Yellowstone National Park.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty Cool! Tell all our California friends Hello!

    Davy

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate