Thursday, November 21, 2013

Heroes...

In 1980 Willie Nelson recorded a hit single that went to number one on the country charts.  This song, "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" struck a chord (no pun intended) with the listening audience and stayed at number one for two weeks and on the country charts for fourteen weeks.  I remember the song (probably could sing a little of it) and at the time, agreed with the jest of the lyrics.  It is truly amazing how becoming a believer in Christ changes your entire perspective on life.  It is truly a "Born Again" experience!  It also changes your choice of heroes....

When I was a little boy, we would visit the Midway Church in Thayer, Missouri for youth rallys and revivals.  It was the old  church on the corner of Gilbert Avenue and 7th Street in "Green Town", which was "midway" between Thayer, Missouri and Mammoth Spring, Arkansas. There were a lot of interesting characters in that old church but the Pastor always had my attention.

He was a big, tall, black-headed man with a deep, gruff, booming voice, whose words had a peculiar "twang".  His wife was a lady with an truly meek spirit and a quiet demeanor.  Brother Wendell Pitman and Sister Jewel Pitman are true heroes of the Holiness Pentecostal Fellowship.

I have an image etched on my mind of Brother Pitman preaching and when he made a particular point in his sermon, he would cup his hand behind ear and stare out into the congregation as if to ask "Did you hear what I just said"?  It took me years to figure out some of his phrases...such as "een-much" - in as much (Kinda like Brother Clifton Galiher saying "she poured out the oral" - (oil)!  I just LOVE these older ministers!!!

However...at this young age, I was terrified of Brother Pitman.  To a little sprout like myself, he was broad-shouldered, had huge hands and was Tall with a capital T!  His voice was deep, kinda gruff and when he got to preaching it seemed like the windows would rattle.  You can just bet I wouldn't be cuttin' no shines while Brother Wendell was apreachin'!!

I related all this to Brother Pitman a few years ago and he really got a laugh out of it.  But then I added the kicker and said "Now Brother Pitman, I used to be so scared of you...but I AIN'T SCARED OF YOU NO MORE!"  It kinda took him by surprise and then he had another good laugh!  Now when I see him the first thing he says is "I just HATE people that are taller than me" and then it's "You still scared of me???"

God Bless the Pitmans and reward them richly for their faithfulness...These my friends, are true HEROES!


A recent picture of Brother Wendell Pitman


A recent picture of Brother Wendell and Sister Jewell Pitman


2 comments:

  1. Proud to know them. The sweetest preacher's wife ever. May the Lord continue to bless their ministry and family.

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate