Sunday, November 10, 2013

Uh huh...Guess you'll do that again!!

My Mom(L) with her best friend, Shirley Von Allmen.
My Mom loved to have fun and tease people....but one time...it got her in a real pickle!  She was a chip off the old block" because my Grandma Fox (her mother) would rather scare somebody than eat.  Maybe I'll tell a story about her in a future post.

My Dad was a Real Estate Broker and he had a lot of business calls that came to our house after hours.  Mom got to know most of the regulars that would call just by their voice (remember, this was the party line days...before caller ID).  When this particular call came in it was a real twangy, drawling, whiny female voice that Mom SHOULD have recognized as the wife of one of the business men Dad had a lot of dealings with.  She didn't!!  Mom thought it was her sister, Freda Cook and that my Aunt Freda was just talking that way to fool her.  So...Mom started talking back to her in the same twangy, drawling, whiny voice!!  It took several seconds but it was soon evident that she wasn't conversing with Aunt Freda!!  Well, rather than just start talking in her regular voice, she decides that to save face, she will just keep talking in the same twangy, drawling, whiny voice.  The conversation goes on for a couple of minutes while they exchange pleasantries (I bet it wasn't pleasant for Mom!!) and then Mom hands the phone to Dad.  Dad takes the phone, finishes the business with this lady and hangs up.  He has figured out the sequence of events and being the man of few words that he was, he just said "Uuuh Huh...Guess you'll do THAT again!"

4 comments:

  1. I can remember the little 'contest' that your mom and my brother Dave had every year at Christmas. They are just called 'gag gifts' today but I got a kick out of all the thought and planning, for months ahead of time, that went into each gift ! Both of them couldn't wait until we opened presents to see what they got. I still remember some of the presents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if this is Dennis or Danita but I can remember that too! I remember a huge boxed gift that Mom gave Dave and it was the "box inside a box inside a box..." gag. We have a picture of him sitting in the floor, wrapping paper all over the place, with a big smile and he is holding up the (small) gift! Good Memories

      Delete
  2. Priceless pic of Sis. Helen & Aunt Shirley. Funny story too. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost hear her twang her way thru that Conversation!! Miss them both.

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate