Saturday, March 15, 2014

What are you dooin'??

My work brings me in contact with all sorts of people.  An itsy-bitsy, teensy-weensy amount of them are real goofballs...but the rest...Ah Yes!  They are the stuff of many stories!

While I was working in Birch Tree, Missouri last Thursday, I needed to tie to a benchmark in the old Depot Park downtown.  I noticed a few kids playing on the merry-go-round but since I was concentrating on working, I just tuned them out.  As I was standing with the GPS pole on the benchmark, I heard this little girl's voice behind me..."What are you dooin'???"  I glanced around and there were two little girls with puzzled but curious looks on their faces.

Now, when you have a job that is difficult to explain to adults, it is near bout' impossible to explain to little shavers.  I started out by asking "Do you know what satellites are?"  They didn't...  So I told them that it was satellites way up in the sky that brought them the programs on their televisions...."Can you get television on that thing?" (pointing to my data collector - which has a small screen)  I told them I couldn't but I turned it around where they could see it and it was "Wow!"  "Cool!"...  I figured it was time for a different tack so I asked them their names..."I'm *Skeeter and she's *LuLu" (*names changed to protect the innocent)  "Where do you go to school?"..."She goes to Birch Tree and I go to Mountain View."  We talked a little more and I told them I had a daughter..."Is she little like us?"...And it went on from there.  Finally I told them I had to go and we swapped "see ya later's."  However...the "spokesman" had one last parting shot...As I was walking away, she said in her bright little girl voice "You leave this park and DON'T come back!" and went off laughing with her friend.  And I went back to my truck with new faith that all is not wrong with the world......

1 comment:

You Comment - I Moderate