Saturday, April 5, 2014

Moten Cemetery

Last weekend Tami and I had to get out of West Plains due to an acute case of "cabin fever" so we decided to go to a cemetery.  Sounds like fun doesn't it?!  Actually it was the Moten Cemetery where my Grandma Riggs' infant sister, Albie, was buried.  I posted about this a few weeks ago in a blog post entitled "You Just Never Know".

We had no trouble finding the cemetery but it was a different story finding the gravestone.  In the picture from the arkansasgravestones.org site, I could see a forked tree and what looked like a road in the background.  We wondered around and found some "Earls" graves and finally found the stone.  It was illegible from a short distance but by getting real close and tracing the engraving you could make out the information.

I know most people find a cemetery a morbid and sometimes spooky place.  I don't like funerals and going to the cemetery when someone passes is sad.  However, I kinda enjoy going to the cemetery and visit some of them quite often.  Certainly every Memorial Day, since it is a Riggs tradition.  I think I can blame Momo Riggs for some of this.  I can remember her taking me to the cemetery when I was a child and just spending time strolling through the gravestones.  She would tell me stories about the people, who they were, how they passed, their children and happenings of their life.  Now she might have been making it up but it made for an interesting outing!  Enough of my rambling...enjoy the pictures below!






I also found two other small grave markers beside this stone (my right in picture above).   They were Jessie C Earls 1913-1913 and William C Earls 1914-1914 and I wondered if these were stillborn/miscarried children of Jesse and Effie?


1 comment:

  1. While browsing on ancestry.com I came accross information related to this post. It seems that William Alexandar Earls and wife Lucille had about 10 children. The oldest two, Jesse Calvin and William Evert, died in infancy. William Alexandar was a son of John and Sarah Earls ( buried at Riverside) which would, of course make him a brother to Eliza Earls Hatfield & several other siblings- including our great grandfather Jess Earls. So, if I read it right, they would be nephews of Jesse and Effie. - Nathan

    ReplyDelete

You Comment - I Moderate