Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Old Friend...

Do you remember when Paul Harvey advertised the "Aladdin Stanley Steel Thermos?"  He also plugged for Wells-Lamont gloves and I can still remember his tag line..."Wells-Lamont is Stuuuuborn about Quality!"  Ole Paul could have been advertising the Aladdin Thermos.  I posted a few days ago about my Dad insisting on buying quality.  My "Old Friend", an Aladdin Thermos, is quality and has been with me through thick and thin, cold and hot, deer seasons, long distance trips and tags along every day to keep "Hot Stuff Hot and Cold Stuff Cold!"

If I'm not mistaken, Mom and Dad got this for me, for Christmas, back in 1982 or 1983.  You can see by the shape it's in, it hasn't been mollycoddled.  This isn't the original cup.  I dropped it out of the truck one day and ran over the "cup" end of the thermos.  The stopper is the original and you can see it has been used and abused.  The handle...well....when we lived on Fifth Street in West Plains, we had a gas hot water heater.  I would put my thermos in the water heater closet out of the way and one day...the plastic handle was turned toward the bottom of the heater....Yep, kinda melted and dripped off!

Last night I decided to try out the quality of old "Therm".  I have said for years that I could leave it in my truck, full of hot coffee, in freezing temperatures, all night, and in the morning the coffee was still hot.  I filled the thermos with hot water from the tap, then made a pot of hot water in my Bunn Coffee Maker.  I poured the tap water out after a few minutes and filled it with the hot "coffee" and set it outside in the 22° weather.  By morning the temperature was 34° but still cold enough for a test.  I brought it in this morning, poured a cup, and (according to Tami) it was as hot as when I filled it up.  Experiment successful!

So...my best friend Tami and my old friend "Therm" are headed out, in the snow, to Silver Dollar City!





4 comments:

  1. I carry two with me year round. The kids got tired of looking at my old bent-up thermos and bought me a new one. Nothing wrong with the old one, so I started carrying both one winter and never stopped. Quality for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Dennis, they are (almost) indestructible. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeps hot things hot and cold things cold? How about mixing kook-aid and soup beans?

    Davy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm...that IS a quandary. I guess you have to settle for lukewarm Kooky-beans!

      Delete

You Comment - I Moderate