Friday, November 14, 2014

"Journey to the Center of the...Courthouse"

I have visited many courthouses in my surveying career and each one has proved to be a unique experience.  Usually, it is the architecture that stands out.  Just think about it...Who wants a court building that looks like the one in the county next door?  Sometimes it is the "rotunda" in the center of the building that is so grand and beautiful.  The monuments and statues on the lawn prove very interesting at times.

I was working in Fredonia, Kansas which is the county seat of Wilson County and made a visit to their seat of government.  I had to get some deed copies so I stopped in at the Register of Deeds office (which would be the Recorder of Deeds office in Missouri.)  The ladies there were very helpful in showing me how their system was set up, so I could research on my own.  I asked about their survey records and was shown where the index and books were in the records room.  Then the lady said, "If you're needing older surveys, I'll have to show you where they are in the basement."  Hmmmm.....  So she goes to this "hole" in the floor and starts the "Journey to the Center of the Courthouse"!  Yes Folks, it was something right out of a Jules Verne novel!

We descended this spiral stair to the basement!

Kinda give you vertigo doesn't it?


Goodby Earth.........


Definitely not ADA friendly but a very unique experience and also good exercise!  Watch your head though, that metal tread plate is very unforgiving!
And behold!  A wealth of (un-indexed) survey records for my perusal.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate