Wednesday, July 4, 2012

INDEPENDENCE DAY!

After our trip to Boston in 2011, Independence Day will never be the same for me.  I understand that we call it "The 4th" or "The 4th of July" but somehow it seems that you lose something in the translation when you call it just "The 4th".  It really was and is "Independence Day".  Since we are so accustomed to freedom we lose sight of just how much of a risk the founders and signers took when "...with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence" they mutually pledged "... to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

I stood in Revere Square and looked past the statue of Paul Revere with the Old North Church spire in the background and somehow wondered; If I would have lived in 1776, would I have had convictions as strong as they, to make the same pledge?  I hear lots of talk and read many internet posts about so-called patriotism, eg. "I'll give up my gun when they pry my cold dead fingers from around it" and other such drivel, But when it really...really comes down to it, would they...we...I...really have that much fortitude to stand up for our rights and convictions?  I sincerely pray that I do...and to that end....

Today...My hat is off today to our Armed Forces! Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines & Coast Guard!  And to the veterans of our many wars and conflicts.   You, the men and women in uniform, active, retired and honorably discharged, have my utmost honor and respect!



No comments:

Post a Comment

You Comment - I Moderate