Friday, January 31, 2014

The Ghost Of School Days Past

Do you believe in Haunted Houses? (or Hainted Houses...depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon yer on).  A few days ago, I was "almost persuaded" there were "Spooks a'runnin' Loose"!

I was working on a project at the old "Iberia Academy and Junior College" in Iberia, Missouri.  As you can see from the first picture below, the old administrative building is very dilapidated.  I would guess that in it's prime it was a very beautiful, stately structure.


The back is much the same as the front, with an old broken down motor home adding to the clutter of the landscape.  As I was working (in the 2° weather), I just happened to focus real good on one of the windows.  When I saw what I see'ed, I bout' jumped out of my hide!  There was a woman standing at one of the second story windows, just a'lookin' at me!!  After my heart settled down, I walked up and took a closer look and realized it was a mannequin head with a dress hung below it.  See if you can find her without looking at the close-up picture at the bottom.

And there she is!!!
If you want to read more about this old landmark there is a good article with some good b&w photos right HERE  This is a big pdf so you will need to give it some time to load.

2 comments:

  1. Somebody achieved just what they aimed to do... give a poor unsuspecting soul a shiver up their spine. Were you able to get into the building ? Sure would be creepy. Sounds like a great location for a Hardy Boy Mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did Sister Brenda!
      I worked on-site until it was dark and as I walked around the side of this building, there was a light on in the basement. This kinda "spooked" me but being the brave person I am... I checked it out and there was a single bulb burning in the boiler room. There was also a lamp on in the old motor home... About that time, I would not have been responsible if someone would have jumped out from behind a tree and grabbed me!....And I was looking around for Frank, Joe and Chet!

      Delete

You Comment - I Moderate